Did you know?
Each Australian produces on average about one tonne of rubbish per year, with 22.45 million tonnes of waste going to landfill across the country. Because we are using up the earth's resources and generating more and more waste, managing waste in a responsible way has become more important than ever.
Every 10 tonnes of recyclable materials recovered is equivalent to*:
- Taking four cars off the road permanently;
- Providing a year's electricity for 14.5 households; and
- Saving enough water to fill 3.5 average backyard swimming pools.
How does Big Heart Enterprise help?
It is all about the three R’s – Recycle, Reduce & Reuse. All products distributed and sold through the Big Heart Enterprise are effectively managed to avoid waste. Whether it is a donated item through the local community; a factory second; or a corporate donation, Big Heart Enterprise have many strategies in place to assist in eliminating the ever increasing landfill issue.
Big Heart Enterprise is Recycling, Reusing and Reducing in many ways, such as:
- Assisting the disadvantaged set up home with items such as furniture, manchester and clothing
- Assisting Mission Australia Services set up new offices with items such as computers, furniture and office equipment
- Selling quality items through the Factory Outlets and Op-Shops at affordable prices
- Distributing to third world countries
- Fixing broken items ie, furniture, electrical to full operational order. This work is carried out by volunteers and Work for the dole participants, therefore they are gaining a broad range of skills and experience also
- Computer recycling program, this program is also undertaken by Work for the Dole participants
- Recycling all paper, plastic, metals, electrical cords and lead acid batteries
- Donating to other charities.
As of 1 July 2009, all Big Heart Shops will be plastic bag free. To do this we need your help, you can do this is a number of ways:
- Donate your unwanted Enviro Bags to any of our 6 locations across the Illawarra or pop into one of our donation bins;
- Donate fabric, so we can make our own enviro bags; or
- Sew and donate your own handmade enviro bags.
If sewing your own enviro bags to donate, it should be roughly the size of a normal shopping bag. You don’t need a lot of fabric to put one of these bags together, even fabric from old clothing can be used. For further information contact us.
Cutting out the use of plastic bags is an important environmental step and it’s also in keeping with the Big Heart philosophy. At Big Heart Enterprise we aim to reuse and recycle as much as possible to cut down waste. The Enviro-Bag is just another one of our many ways in doing this.
Donations of Enviro Bags or any other items such as clothes and furniture can be dropped off at the following locations or popped into one of our donation bins:
- 16 Bellambi Lane, Bellambi, 2518
- 4/5 Harbord Road, Campbelltown, 2560
- 71 Montague Street, Nth Wollongong, 2500
- Shop 1, Thirroul Shopping Centre, Lawrence Hargrave Dr, Thirroul, 2515
- Cnr Worrigee St & Princess Highway, Nowra, 2541
- 2 Marshall St, Dapto, 2530
- 4 Commerce Drive, Warilla, 2528
- Shop 2, 148-158 Sloane Street, Goulburn, 2580
How can you help?
If you are moving or updating your house/office or just doing some general spring cleaning, think about how your items can be re-used. Whether you are an individual or company, it is time to start taking responsibility towards an environmentally sustainable future.
No items will be disregarded (small and bulk donations accepted). Please phone 02 4225 9820 to make a donation. Not only are you helping the environment you are assisting those in need.
*Source: Waste Service, NSW Government