Homelessness is getting worse for older Australians
We all want to age with dignity. It’s something everyone deserves but for a growing number of older Australian men and women, the reality is far different.
In the last five years, the number of elderly people facing homelessness has increased.1 Tonight, 700 Australians aged over 65 years will be forced to sleep rough on our streets.2
Homelessness is rising for older Australians—donate today and help us end Australia's homelessness crisis.
Breaking the cycle of homelessness
Two years ago, John* could never imagine himself sleeping on the street. But the breakdown of his marriage triggered a chain of events that led John into a deep depression. While his wife and children remained in the family home, John turned to alcohol to deal with the pain. He lost his job and within weeks, he was homeless.
Today, John lives on a bench in an inner-city park. Without support he’ll be sleeping there tonight.
Your courageous decision can help break the cycle of homelessness and provide life-changing support for older Australians like John, who desperately need help to recover their sense of security, dignity and independence.
Will you help break the cycle of homelessness today?
How your donation makes a difference
Your generosity helps vulnerable older Australians at every step of their journey from homelessness to being safely housed. Your donation funds services including Missionbeat to:
- Provide essential items such as sleeping bags and warm socks to help rough sleepers endure winter
- Intervene early to stop people becoming homeless in the first place
- Reach out to people who are homeless and struggling to get by
- Provide access to medical care and specialist support for people with mental health issues
- Connect marginalised men and women with an inclusive, caring community
- Advocate on behalf of vulnerable people to help them secure tenancies and access vital services
- Equip people with skills and confidence to regain their independence.
A message from Missionbeat
Without your support, services like Missionbeat simply couldn’t afford to stay on our streets. Help us end homelessness and ensure communities in need can thrive.
Our promise to you
Mission Australia has been helping people move towards independence for 160 years, and our commitment to this vital work has never been stronger.
Thanks to your support, together we helped 167,268 people in 2020 by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies, and much more.
In 2020, 88.0% of our income went straight back into delivering services that assisted vulnerable Australians.
We appreciate every single donation we receive, and ensure that every dollar goes where it is needed most.
Subscribe for the latest news
* Names and Images have been changed to protect the identities of the people we helped
1,2ABS 2018 Census of Population and Housing: Estimating homelessness, 2016